Tuesday, December 13, 2011

OUR STORY

Just a glimpse of how it all began, a little in the middle and then where we are today.......

Mama knows best....

As if it were yesterday, I remember going to a candle light service on September 13, 2001 at the town park in Wadley. I went with mom and so many people were there to remember those who were previously affected by the terrorist attacks and pray for our country. After the service we ran into Mrs.Lynn as we were walking back to our cars. We stopped to say hello and try and talk about something uplifting considering the circumstances of our country. I remember standing there and my mom saying "if I could pick someone to put in a box and save for Samantha it would be Zack Baggett". Mom was always impressed with what an encouraging leader and polite young man Zack was in high school. She loved watching him play sports and would always comment on his positive attitude and of course his good looks! She never would have dreamed that a little over three years later I would be dating him......

It started as a crush and ended up being my whole life...

Leigh was my best friend and we spent every minute we possibly could together. Of course I thought Zack was so cute and sweet and funny but he was my best friend's brother! We always had fun together and were just really good friends who enjoyed hanging out with each other. Then in 2002 Teresa and Michael took the whole gang to Panama City for a week! By this time, I was seeing Zack in a whole new light and as everyone loves to remind me now...I made it very clear on this beach trip that I thought he was really special! I was your typical teenage girl! I always wanted to sit beside him at dinner, or ride next to him on the strip, reserve the lounge chair right next to his, or be his partner during chicken fights in the pool....I can't take all the credit for all the flirting though! Mr.Baggett also put on his charm for me throughout the next year and made sure I kept thinking he hung the moon....

Some of our firsts that I will never forget...

I was shocked the first time he kissed me in 2003. It was perfect! Zack moved soon after that moment when he graduated from high school. It was hard for me when he went to Auburn. I will never forget the day he moved....I of course was there with Leigh and we helped pack the last of his stuff in the truck. I was in the back of the house thinking that he had probably pulled out of the driveway by this time when I felt someone come right up behind me. I turned around and as soon as I did he said "I love you, Sam". He squeezed me in a tight hung as I said " I love you too." It was the first time he had said those 3 words to me. I knew in that moment that we did indeed love each other and I couldn't imagine us not being together. A little time went by and we were apart but still loved seeing each other every chance we got and always had fun together. We both were at very different stages in our lives and watched each other change and grow. After both of us fought off our true feelings for some time, Zack finally decided despite our different stages of life that he wanted to take me on an official first date. He started by asking both of our parents permission. Though they were hesitant because they both loved us both and didn't want anything to hurt our friendship, they allowed us to go. I remember Leigh being so excited and helping me get ready. She even let us drive her Mustang! We went to Pizza Villa in LaGrange and ate pizza by candle light! Zack will still tell you today that I was so nervous that night I didn't eat a bite!! I was shaking so bad my salad wouldn't even stay on my fork....

You're still the one...

There were not many times after that first date that we were apart again. Even though we were not perfect, we were perfect for each other! We both knew that we were meant to be together. Through the years we have both grown up and changed a lot but one thing has never changed..... we still say "I love you" just as sincerely passionate as the first time, everyday more than once!!! 
We were blessed with a few years of us both being in Wadley together while I was still in high school. We were able to spend so much time together and live the simple life!! I am so thankful for so many fun memories!! 
The transition of me moving to Auburn was a challenge. We both thought we would never make it being apart so much!! Things got easier after the first few months but we both made many trips from Wadley to Auburn my first year!! 
Auburn Nursing School was a different story.....I couldn't go home because I had to study and Zack couldn't come see me because I was studying!! We really only saw each other on weekends and special occasions. Zack was so encouraging! I couldn't have made it through without his love and support. 
Overall we both had a blast during my time at Auburn! Away from school we always found something fun to do! We loved tailgating together, going to concerts, having movie nights, and of course eating out!! 
God blessed this time also. He stretched both of us and opened our hearts to Him more than ever before. We both know He has big plans for us and can't wait to see what He will do next!! We have both been so very blessed and are so thankful for God's grace.....

A snow white surprise in the Smokies....

Zack and I left Wadley about 7:30 in the morning on December 18, 2009 headed to Gatlinburg......Matthew, Leigh, Big Danny, and Momma Lynn were not going to be to far behind. It was pouring when we left home and rained the whole way! We stopped a couple of times and ate. We just took our time and enjoyed being together. As soon as we got to Gatlinburg those hard rain drops turned into white flakes and it looked like a Winter Wonderland. I have never been in so much snow!!! It was absolutely gorgeous!!! Well we made it to our cabin and after a small snowball fight we waited to hear from the rest of our crew! Little did we know they were all stuck on the other side of the mountain due to fallen trees and dangerous ice and snow! They closed the roads and wouldn't let them through. While all of this was happening to them...Zack and I lost power in our cabin and were having trouble driving even with four-wheel drive! I am so thankful we did not take the Acura this year! My poor little car would have never made it!! The rest of the crew had to stay in Cherokee for the night. We decided to go shop a little.......we shopped, talked, and then went and enjoyed a great dinner at Olive Garden. I must admit that at dinner Zack made me believe he had still not asked my dad's permission. He just kept me going because it was all part of his plan. He wanted me to not expect anything and well MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! I was heartbroken. I pouted and shed a couple of tears. When we got back to our cabin we had power! Praise the Lord! 
............. We got up early the next morning and started getting ready. I of course took a lot longer than Zack did. He kept coming downstairs and seeing if I was ready yet but never said anything when he came down. I told him after about the third time that I was hurrying and I would be ready in a minute. He said "O that's fine." I thought WOW he is in a good mood since he wasn't rushing me like usual. I just thought he was being sweet and after all we were on vacation!! 
When I was ready I went upstairs and he was just walking around in the living room. I was just being my normal self, organizing all my stuff and gathering everything I wanted to take with me. I told him I was ready whenever he was and he said well let me go warm up the truck......so I just waited in the living room. He came back in and just kept walking around and looking out the windows. Then he said do you think years from now you will remember this place and this weekend. I told him yeah I thought so. I reminded him of how much I scrapbook and blog too. I said we can always look back at those things and remember times like these. Then he said so you think if I asked you to marry me here you would always remember......still not expecting anything I said well yeah of course I would.....then he reached in his pocket and I saw the box!!! He said "Well will you? Will you marry me? Will you be my wife?" I just started crying and grabbed him in a huge hug!!! I was so surprised......When I finally let go, I looked at him and with tears in both of our eyes he said it again... "Well will you?" and I said....."YES! You know I will."

No comments:

Post a Comment